May 31, 2022
The 2022 Goldman Environmental Prize winners are changing the world—one river, forest, and community at a time. But they need all of us to get involved. Keep reading to learn how you can support their work, engage with their causes, and speak out for our planet.
1. Stand up to big oil with Chima Williams (Nigeria)
Each year, thousands of gallons of crude oil spill from pipelines and oil wells into the Niger Delta. Support Chima’s work to hold multinational oil companies accountable for environmental damage in Nigeria.
- Visit Environmental Rights Action (ERA) | Friend of the Earth’s website and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
2. Think through the consequences of your consumption with Niwat Roykaew (Thailand)
Our consumption habits have global repercussions—we are all linked. Join Niwat’s fight to protect the Mekong River from further development.
- Follow the Mekong School on Facebook.
3. Take action to protect the climate with Marjan Minnesma (The Netherlands)
It is imperative that we reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere—today. Help build a culture of climate-friendly choices in your everyday life: eat less meat, use solar energy, walk and bike, buy sustainably, plant trees, and more.
4. Bank and invest sustainably with Julien Vincent (Australia)
We cannot expand the fossil fuel industry if we are going to keep climate change under control. How you spend and invest your money has the power to influence financial institutions and companies.
5. Take a stand for environmental justice with Nalleli Cobo (United States)
The battle to phase out urban oil and gas extraction in the United States is gaining traction. Join Nalleli’s fight to end urban oil extraction and support her efforts for environmental justice.
6. Amplify Indigenous voices like those of Alex Lucitante & Alexandra Narvaez (Ecuador)
Mineral extraction, drilling, and logging continue to threaten Amazon rainforests and communities. Support Alex and Alexandra’s efforts to protect the Amazon and its Indigenous communities.
- Follow the duo on social media: Alex Lucitante (Twitter, Instagram) and Alexandra Narvaez (Twitter, Instagram).
If you’d like to learn more about these extraordinary activists, watch the 2022 Goldman Environmental Prize virtual award ceremony, a one-hour event that provides an in-depth look at their stories of grit and perseverance.